The unwritten rule that trims should be painted in high gloss finishes with ceilings in a bright matt white has underpinned the way many of us decorate our homes. But you really can be as creative with sheen as with colour!
Finishes can be cleverly chosen to mask and accent architectural features in the home. Disguise uneven walls with a chalky matt finish, pick out delicate plasterwork with distemper or highlight your favourite pieces of furniture with Farrow & Ball Modern Eggshell.
We've Gathered Our Top Tips To Help Inspire You To Play With Finish
- Front doors are a brilliant place to start experimenting with finishes. Try high shine Full Gloss for a striking first impression or opt for a relaxed entrance with our matt Exterior Eggshell.
- Pair Estate Emulsion and Estate Eggshell for a classic matt look with gentle shifts in sheen, or combine Modern Emulsion and Modern Eggshell for a more contemporary feel with added durability.
3. As with colour, sheen can be mixed and matched to create a cohesive scheme. Try painting chairs in Estate Eggshell, Modern Eggshell and Full Gloss, all in the same colour. With 20%, 40% and 95% sheen, each variance will subtly add character.
4. Paint a strip of Full Gloss across matt Estate Emulsion walls. You might not even spot the difference until the sun peeps through to reveal a hidden layer of interest.
5. Consider using a flat matt finish on the outside of wardrobes or cupboards with a deep gloss within, adding a secret pocket of sheen and creating a dramatic backdrop to your belongings.
6. Add a splash of colour to bathrooms and kitchens with our mould resistant Modern Emulsion. This hardy finish can then be combined with Modern Eggshell on cabinetry and trim for a noticeable shift from matt walls to mid sheen woodwork.
7. Paint your own rug design on the floor with Modern Eggshell to add long-lasting colour and lustre to your floor, or brush Full Gloss onto floorboards to bounce light up into the room.