Preparation & Application - Interior
All our paints are water based, eco friendly and comply with the latest EU environmental legislation regarding the VOC (Volatile Organic Compounds) content of paints. Our finishes are all low in odour and classified as either low or minimal VOC. These water based paints can be applied to surfaces previously painted in an oil based finish. However, surfaces painted in oil based paint require a minimum of two weeks drying time before water based paint is applied on top. Farrow & Ball oil based paint finishes are no longer available.
The following guidelines apply to the Estate® Eggshell, Dead Flat and Full Gloss paint finishes, suitable for all interior metal including radiators.
Ensure the metal surface is sound, clean, dry and free from dirt, grease and any other contamination.
For ferrous metal surfaces, i.e. metals that can rust such as traditional radiators:
- New and previously painted metal surfaces should be thoroughly degreased.
- Remove any rust or weak paint back to bare metal.
- Apply two coats of Farrow & Ball Metal Primer & Undercoat.
For galvanised metal surfaces, i.e. metal that has been coated to prevent rusting, e.g. most modern domestic radiators:
- Treat with Etch Primer or Mordant Solution taking care to follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
- When dry, clean with a detergent.
- When using more than one tin of the same colour, check that the batch numbers are the same (see the base of the tin). If not then mix the tins together before use.
- Estate® Eggshell: stir paint thoroughly before use. Load brush well and apply two coats. Estate® Eggshell is touch dry in two hours and can be recoated in four hours.
- Full Gloss: stir paint thoroughly before use. Apply one coat and allow to dry. Apply a final coat. Full Gloss is touch dry in two hours hour and can be recoated in four hours.
- Dead Flat: Load brush well and apply two coats. Dead Flat is touch dry in two hours and can be recoated in four hours.
- Clean brushes with warm soapy water.