Preparation & Application - Exterior
All our paints are water based, eco friendly and comply with the latest EU environmental legislation regarding the VOC (Volatile Organic Compounds) content of paints. Our finishes are all low in odour and classified as either low or minimal VOC. These water based paints can be applied to surfaces previously painted in an oil based finish. However, surfaces painted in oil based paint require a minimum of two weeks drying time before water based paint is applied on top. Farrow & Ball oil based paint finishes are no longer available.
The following guidelines apply to the Exterior Eggshell and Full Gloss paint finishes, suitable for use on softwood and hardwood, window frames, cladding, gates and garden furniture.
Ensure the surface is sound, clean, dry and free from dirt, grease and any other contamination. Fill any cracks, holes and open joins with appropriate exterior filler.
For exterior bare wood surfaces:
- Where required use Farrow & Ball Wood Knot & Resin Blocking Primer to patch prime knotty or resinous woods.
- Apply a full coat of Farrow & Ball Exterior Wood Primer & Undercoat.
For previously painted exterior wood surfaces:
- Sand back areas of paint that have peeled or blistered, to achieve a good ‘key’.
- Apply a full coat of Farrow & Ball Exterior Wood Primer & Undercoat
- When using more than one tin of the same colour, check that the batch numbers are the same (see the base of the tin). If not then mix the tins together before use.
- Stir paint thoroughly before use.
- Exterior Eggshell: apply two coats by brush. Exterior Eggshell is touch dry in one hourand can be recoated in four hours.
- Full Gloss: Apply one coat and allow to dry, then sand off with a fine abrasive paper to remove raised grain or roughened surface and apply a final coat. Load the brush well, Full Gloss may be applied by a gloss roller for larger flat areas. Full Gloss is touch dry in one hourand can be recoated in four hours.
- Clean brushes and rollers with warm soapy water.